Author Topic: can pages have custom sizes?  (Read 3838 times)

maurik

can pages have custom sizes?
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:39:51 pm »
hello to everyone, i'm michael. florian, your class is absolutely wonderful.

i have this question:
it is very logical for pages inside a book to be smaller than the book cover. or it would be very nice to have pages stick out, or to have a page that's half the size of a normal page, etc.

now this is possible to accomplish with png or swf transparency, but all the book's effects like pagedrag, shadowing etc (as far as i can tell) only take the book's dimensions into account.

is it possible to define custom, overriding dimensions for individual pages?
how difficult, and what's the best advice if i would like to create that possibility inside source?

thanks
michael

Florian Nücke

• κρύα πόδια
  • Administrator
  • MegaZine3 Developer
    • MegaZine3
Re: can pages have custom sizes?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:01:51 pm »
this is currently not possible, and won't be for some time, i'm afraid. problem is, that i'd have to build in a lot more checks on which pages are actually visible or not (transparency was nasty enough)... so sorry, not in the near future.
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.

Before you ask a question
          After you get an answer
  • please document your problem with the answer in the Project Wiki. (e.g. in the FAQs)
  • help others out if you can, by answering their questions on the forum.

ramjet

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:57:40 am »
I agree that graphicly it would look more artistic/realistic if a cover was slightly larger (so you could glimpse the inside covers surrounding the page as you read).
I'm just curious if this might be doable if just applied to the first/last page when stiff="true" is selected. (paperbacks don't do this, but bound books do).
The logic would only have to be applied to the first and last page, maybe stretched slightly, so you wouldn't need to think about transparency etc.

Or somehow in the xml a seperate<cover> tag so it becomes <book><cover><chapter><page>

(just encouragement for a realistic look, not a demand!)
Megazine is really fantastic Florian.
cheers, murray

edit: just to have a look at Florian, i don't know if this would be easy or not...
 http://www.flipcity.com/fvx/demos/1/flipviewerxpress.html  (open the Asian Geographic to the middle page)
At the sides of the book the pages become marginally less wide each time, giving a good depth effect.
The same effect added at the page bottom is not needed (it looks fake), but the sides look good as this is what it does look like when you read (and it has the added bonus of being able to act as a navigation element)

Anyway, food for thought.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:07:12 am by ramjet »

ramjet

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:37:30 am »
can postpage and prepage be made to be larger than the book/page size?

Florian Nücke

• κρύα πόδια
  • Administrator
  • MegaZine3 Developer
    • MegaZine3
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:01:34 pm »
The different page size thing is of course something very neat, I'm aware of that - but it'll quite a bit of work, I fear, because I'd have to store the sizes pagewise, which is not something I'm doing at the moment... and a lot of changes. Plus the big danger that nothing works afterwards :D So I'll try to do some other stuff first. But it's on my todo list somewhere ;)

The effect seen in the link you posted is also something on my todo list. But all my tries so far looked horrible, so that'll need a little more fiddling...

Thanks for the input, though!

After you get an answer
  • please document your problem with the answer in the Project Wiki. (e.g. in the FAQs)

corrado72

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:44:56 am »
something new on this feature request?

Hans Nücke

• Administrator
  • MegaZine3 Sales Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:21:40 am »
You posted in the verstion 1 section, so if your question is really related to v1.38: there will be no further enhancements.

All new features will only go into version 2.0
The different page size support is still under consideration and probably will make it into version 2 still this year...

Florian Nücke

• κρύα πόδια
  • Administrator
  • MegaZine3 Developer
    • MegaZine3
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:56:38 am »
It's already implemented, actually... for v2, that is.

After you get an answer

kienny

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 02:10:32 pm »
It's already implemented, actually... for v2, that is.

Could you tell me how to do it?

Florian Nücke

• κρύα πόδια
  • Administrator
  • MegaZine3 Developer
    • MegaZine3
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 05:44:29 pm »
Via the attributes chapter@pagewidth, chapter@pageheight / page@width, page@height / spreadpage@width, spreadpage@height as mentioned in the version history. Will document them in detail when I find the time, although the use should be pretty self-explaining.

After you get an answer