Links with local titles
07.04.2011 19:33 by Hans Nuecke (comments: 1)
How to make links work for Offline and local titles
Titles published on a server and accessed over the internet offer full network access.
And with that also support full capabilities of links to other websites.
But if the MZ3 title is run on a local PC (within a browser as local version or as a 'projector' together with a FLASH player, e.g. from an USB stick or CD), there is a high probability to run into sandbox problems.
For security reasons, FLASH does not allow the simultaneous use of local files and network data. In most cases you have to decide:Either network access, i.e. links to other URL addresses like websites OR access to local files.
Since a CD or local version usually must present local data (swf files, video files, images), access to data over the internet is not allowed. And with that links or forms do not work.
The behavior can be influenced by a compiler switch, i.,e. during the process of creating the projector file. If compiled as network version, links will work, but swf files cannot be accessed. WIth a big negative impact:
Plugins cannot be loaded (plugins are swf files) and also most content for the books either is swf or video and therefore also refused because outside of the sanfbox. and therefore not accessible.
What makes things even more complicated is that from version to version (FLASH and browser and Operating system), the behavior might change. Also which browser is used makes a difference. Also if content data is located on a local disk or a network drive can have totally different results.
If something does not work as expected, especially things related with links or video, remember this could be the result of some sandbox algorithms.
- verify your MZ3 file is valid, i.e. ,ake use of a validator like http://validome.org to prove there's no problem with your mz3 file
- check the message of the console (you must have added it to the plugin list and set the level to at least WARNING)
- Test your title in different environments:
on a server
on your local PC in a browser
on your local PC with a FLASH player (stand allone player or as a projector)
- create a different version of your projector file, i.e. try both the network and local version
- use the megazine-fat.swf instead of the megazine.swf-
The fat version already contains all plugins and the video skin, therefor all plugins should already work without the meed to load them
- Compile the megazine-fat veriosn with different setting (network and local). Use the ant script for that
- last remedy: try tricks like jscommand to start a browser with the URL you want to link to.
All this is not meant as "recipe" for a perfect soltuion but more a list of ideas that might help you to find a working solution for your specail needs.
If you have additional ideas and solutions, please share with us so we can publish and others have a chance to reach their goals.